The “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing” thing is the system error that occurs when the program or the application you try to run on your computer fail to discover the necessary runtime component. This problem is not critical, but may be quite annoying, especially when it’s necessary to quickly run a certain program. If you happened to get this system error message, you want to troubleshoot the problem with our help. So, just go on reading the article to learn more about the effective methods of addressing the “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing” issue.
A Few Words About .DLL Files
Dynamic Link Library (DLL), which is often responsible for the occurrence of the error under consideration, is a set of files you operating system relies upon to perform its function, especially those connected with opening and running certain applications. Every time you aim to open a program on your comp, Windows reaches the DLL libraries for to get the data necessary for performing this sort of operation. Without .DLL any application would take up much more valuable space on your hard drive. Nevertheless, apart from making your operating system’s life more easier, .DLLs are also notorious for their propensity to work incorrectly, get corrupted, or magically disappear from your computer. In such a situation, you are bound to see the one of the popular .DLL system error messages. And the VCRUNTIME140.dll not found error is not an exception. But we wouldn’t be here if we were afraid of difficulties. So, let’s try to sort this problem out.
Why Does the System Throw Up the “VCRUNTIME140.dll is Missing” Error?
The system’s failure to update the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, the component which ensures proper operation of .DLL files, may result in the “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing” error. Moreover, there is always a chance that you have unwittingly removed the necessary file that the file has just got corrupted due to some reasons. The outcome is the same – you end up unable to run your program and try to find a way out of your digital predicament.
To resolve similar problems, you should always keep a System File Checker handy. If you haven’t still downloaded this useful software, do it immediately. Once you got the Checker installed, make sure to follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to the Start menu. Type “cmd” into the necessary box and click on the Command Prompt. Choose the “Run as administrator” option.
- Confirm the actions by pressing “Yes,” when prompted.
- The command you are required to enter is Sfc / scannow. (Please, note that space between the Sfc and scannow is essential). Press Enter, then.
- Now wait for some time for the completion of the checking process.
Substituting the Missing DLL File
If the VCRUNTIME140.dll components has been irretrievable damaged or deleted, you may want to download it from the Internet and installing it back on your comp.
To do it:
- Go to the reliable website that offers the necessary .DLL file. Take care to use only reputable and safe online sources.
- From the website, select the latest build of the VCRUNTIME140.dll file. Choose the one compatible with your current Windows version (either 32- or 64-bit). Select the “Download” option, then.
- Shortly afterwards, you will get a compressed file in your Downloads folder. Use any available unarchiver to extract its content.
- Next, right-click on the extracted files and choose Copy.
- In the appropriate file directory (for, instance C:\Windows\System32), right click on the empty space and select Paste.
That’s it. Now you can restart the system and check if the problem has been resolved.